2017: A Year in Review


What better way to start a new year than by looking back at 2017 and thinking about everything I have learnt, and believe me, I learnt a lot. Let's be honest. 2017 has been a year of utmost shenanigans. The year threw so many curveballs I wasn't sure whether it was best to run screaming or cover my eyes and pray for it to be over. And it wasn't just me; people in general seemed to be having a rough time, but that is what made the good parts extra special.


ALL THE CONCERTS
  • Justin Nozuka: I saw Justin Nozuka perform as my first solo gig of the year. I have been a fan of Justin for about 5 years and was unable to attend his gig in London a few years ago and was completely gutted. This year, thanks to Songkick, I managed to catch his performance, take loads of videos and chat to him in person. He's just the sweetest in person.
  • FEMM: I saw the Japanese electronic duo FEMM (short for Far East Mention Mannequins) perform at Underworld Camden, thanks to Songkick again. It was only their second performance in London so it was rather small but I got pretty close to the front. They performed some of my favourite songs of theirs (Fxxk Boys Get Money) and some new ones that I am now obsessed with (Dead Wrong). If anyone needs a female anthem, Dead Wrong's the one.
  • SZA: My parents got me SZA tickets for my 23rd birthday. I absolutely LOVE SZA and her music is my first port of call when I wanna get/am all up in my feelings. I religiously listened to CTRL when it came out so I was absolutely buzzing to see her perform and was ruthlessly sending snaps to my bestie who's also a big fan. 

TRAVEL
  • Skytrex Melaka: I celebrated the beginning of 2017 in Malaysia with my family and close friends in Melaka. During our stay, we went to Skytrex Melaka (a bit like Go Ape) and the Extreme Warrior trail, the highest and hardest trail, up in the canopy of Taman Botani Ayer Keroh. Nerve-wracking, but totally worth it!
  • Paris: O and I used my long weekend at work to escape to Paris for a few days. Envision days filled with glasses of wine, chocolate crepes and visits to all the museums. I even managed to squeeze in a meal with some family friends at this beautiful little cafe amongst all our touristy ventures.
  • Sorano, Italy: I spent three weeks travelling around Sorano, Tuscany with my mum when she came to visit me for a month. I took a bunch of time off work and was able to travel the Italian countryside. It was lovely having so much time to properly explore Tuscany. 

HOME LIFE
  • We got Sterling: After months of back and forths with O about getting a pet, we finally brought our cinder corn snake home. Yeah he's not fluffy and doesn't want our constant attention, but he always comes to say hello and likes keeping us company when we watch movies, sitting in our pockets.
  • Started A New Job: I started my first job after graduating from university working in the care system. While this job was very exhausting, both emotionally and physically, I learnt a lot about the healthcare system and myself in turn. I also made some great friends

SOCIAL BUTTERFLY
  • Raindance/United Festival: I took the plunge and went to a number of festivals with a new group of friends I made earlier in the year. Even though I was really nervous to go out to events with so many people
  • Pulled an all-nighter: I celebrated a family's birthday and clocked in the most hours I've ever been awake at 27hrs. I'd gone to work at 7.30am and returned home the following morning at 10am. Probably won't be able to physically do it again, but it made for some fond memories and I've never been to so many places in London all in one night.
  • Visit from N: A friend of mine from high school came to visit me during her travels and stayed with me for a week. Thanks to her, I got to see Phantom again and do all the touristy things I don't usually have time to do.
  • New tattoo: I got my new tattoo by a tattoo artist I've been following for the past few years. He was travelling through Europe and was tattooing in London for a few days so I jumped at the chance of getting a piece done by him. I ended up with a custom rose by him and all I can say is money well spent. I'm looking forward to wearing backless dresses when the summer comes around. 
Even though 2017 was somewhat of an eyebrow raiser of a year, I can't deny that there were some pretty good moments.

No comments