It's Okay Even If It Hurts
Tuesday, 23 January 2018
Recently, I was affected by the loss of an individual who had touched my heart more deeply than I knew. I did not know them, I had never seen this person face to face, never spoken a word to them, but I had heard their voice and their message. I even shed a tear as I thought about all they had yet to experience and now never would. It was a blessing that as I decided to publish post today, I discovered that some of their work had been published posthumously.
They were a voice for progression, yet a victim of regression. Their words lifted others from darkness and put smiles on their faces. They were a role model, an advocate for LGBT rights, for equality, for mental health. This individual was a beacon of light in a dark world and it saddens me to see that someone so inherently good could be suffering such pain. What make the human life beautiful is the briefness of it and what good we choose to do during our brief time on earth.
We as humans are so harsh on ourselves. We see ourselves as less beautiful than we are, we beat ourselves down over every small failure and we fail to see the beauty that is in our lives. We don't like to ask for help and we rationalise our feelings by telling ourselves we don't deserve to feel this way, or that others have it worse than we do.
It is important to never forget how much we mean to the people around us, and not just to our family and friends. Everything thing we do touches the people around us in unique ways. You mean something to the person you smile to on your morning commute every time you see them. You mean something to the person who you just complimented because you like their outfit. You mean something to the person who overheard you tell a joke to your friends and then proceeds to tell it to their own. We may not always be able to see the difference that our existence makes, but that doesn't mean that it isn't there. You may think that the world would be better off without you, but the world wouldn't be the world without you in it.
We all have a little desire to save the world. Some of us can only save one person, and it's ok if that one person is ourselves.
If anyone needs help reach out. It may seem like nothing will help but it makes the weight lighter, even if just for a day: https://www.samaritans.org/
loading..
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments